Re: Willinakaqe

Le 12/05/2011 15:24, Augusto Haro a écrit :
2011/5/12 Jaime Headden<qi_leong@hotmail.com>:
   Are we to use Spanish pronunciation rules for Mapuche? If so, how DOES one pronounce "kaqe"? I'm
tempted to say "will-ee-nuh-kayk" just because that's how it looks, but as with *Futalognkosaurus*
I won't hedge my bets. "wih-yih-na-kah-kay" is my real best guess.
Yes, I now think we should pronounce this in Mapuce. However, I
suspect pronunciation may mostly resemble Spanish, as Spanish is the
only language with Latin alphabet sympatric with Mapuce, and from
which Mapuce most likely take the conversion from sound to writing.
However, there are differences, as David indicated.

In Spanish we pronounce this way:
http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#en|es|Willinakaqe  (push the
listen button)

As I pronounce vowels differently from you, I do not much mind how
does "will-ee-nuh-kayk" sound.

I just downloaded a pronunciation guide for Mapuce here:
http://futatraw.ourproject.org/descargas/canumil.pdf

Sadly for you, it is in Spanish, using pronunciation guides in
comparison with Spanish words, but I will read it and send an audio
file with the Mapuce pronunciation.