Re: Willinakaqe

2011/5/12 bh480@scn.org <bh480@scn.org>:
> From: Ben Creisler
>
> Since the name is not derived from Greek or Latin, approximating the
> original pronunciation of the source language Mapuche as much as English
> allows seems like the best approach.

For those speaking English, perhaps...

> The "ll" sound is a palatal sound a bit like "lli" in English “million.”
> This is the sound in willi “south,” not two separate l sounds.
> The “q” stands for a sound that does not exist in English (a velar
> fricative “g” sound, a bit like “h” but voiced) so regular “g” would be
> about as close as English can get. This sound is not in anyway like labial
> v.

I know little about tongue positions, but can say that the grammar of
Raguileo Lincopil, the one creating the connection between writing and
speech for Mapudungun, which I formerly posted
(http://futatraw.ourproject.org/descargas/canumil.pdf), indicates in
page 5, translated by me: "the semivowels are three: y, q, w, which
correspond to the close vowels i, v, u, respectively. In the presence
of vowels they behave like semiconsonants". So, as in Willinakaqe the
"q" is surrounded by vowels, I would expect it to sound more
consonant-like, as "v".

Regarding the "ll", the source I cite also says (on page 6, roughly
translated): "The Spanish double l, as is known, represents a single
phoneme. We represent that same phoneme with the grapheme j. We
discard the grapheme ll because in many verbal constructions, when the
root of the verb ends in l and the intercalated particle begins with
the same l grapheme, the two unite in a word, causing confusion in
reading."

> Page 50 says that the accent in a five-syllable word tends to go on the
> next-to-last syllable.

Well, that "tends" saves us... On page 5, said source states
(translated by me): "As the stress is not of phonemic value in our
language, the accent is not necessary. That is, if we change the
elevation of the voice of one syllable to another, the meaning of the
word does not change. Consequently there will not be accentual
spelling problems in writing."