RE: Troodon/Orodromeus hypothesis

Jason, all I can say is that the following is intriguing:

"Oddly enough, Montana isn’t the only instance of dinosaur nests found
fossilized with another type of animal involved. In another case the
tables may have been turned on the Troodontids. Two partial skulls of
hatchling troodontids, this time a species called Byronosaurus,
 were found in the nest of an oviraptorosaur  in the Gobi Desert in
1994. This suggests three possibilities: One, that adult oviraptorids
were eating hatchling Byronosaurus. Two, that young Byronosaurus left their
nests and immediately tried to feed on oviraptorid hatchlings or eggs. Or
three, that adult Byronosaurus were nest parasites on oviraptorids. (Bever,
G.S. and Norell, M.A. (2009). "The perinate skull of Byronosaurus
(Troodontidae) with observations on the cranial ontogeny of paravian
theropods." American Museum Novitates, 3657)"

  We've spent some time talking about various durophages, including ovophages.
One thing that should be kept in mind here is that to predate an egg, you need
one primary thing: a way to break the eggshell. Crushing teeth, or slicing
teeth, or an apparatus that can do so (dropping the egg, using a rock,
swallowing and slicing within the mouth/throat, etc.). The troodontid
hatchlings in question lack any of these features, and moreover none of them
have teeth thicker than the eggshell in question. Their proximity to the eggs
of a nest filled with oviraptorids implies 2 is improbable if not impossible;
this leaves 1 and 3. I doubt, based on the jaw anatomy, that troodontids
destroyed or opened eggs orally, although they could have eaten the neonates
post-hatching, so I doubt the inverse of 1, but at the same time the evidence
of nests of troodontids in NA at least implies 3 is not correct (but this is
based on negative evidence). Nest parasitism is curious, be we've little data
to indicate that, especially as Bever and Norell indicate that the associated
eggshells are oviraptorid, of the same type found with the oviraptorid embryo.
Varricchio et al. document troodontid eggshell, and show it to be extremely
different from that of oviraptorids, thus confusing the association as
parasitic (the eggshells associated with the skulls as evidence the neonates
were hatched in the nest) rather than predatory (the oviraptorids dumping the
neonates into the nest). I would implicity, as Bever and Norell do
(tangentially, as this same nest produced the oviraptorid embryo), support 1.

Varricchio, D. J., Horner, J. R. & Jackson, F. D. 2002. Embryos and eggs for
the Cretaceous theropod dinosaur *Troodon formosus.* _Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology_ 22(3):564–576.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)