Re: Willinakaqe

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

I agree with David on these points. I read through the pdf of Mapuche cited
and it's clear that it uses a very different spellings to transcribe sounds
and so is not a reliable guide when applied to the spelling Willinakaqe.

The "v" is used for a vowel sound that is not found in Spanish--this does
NOT mean that the sound in Mapuche variously transcribed as "q" or "g" is
the sound "v" has in English and some other languages--only that the
position of the tongue in the mouth for the vowel is similar for the sound
represented by q. It is not a sound found in English. The Mapuche sound
represented by q is somewhat similar to the Spanish fricative g but softer,
and is technically considered to be a glide or an approximant rather than a
fricative (I did not explain this well in my original posting). The
transcription system in the Wikipedia article uses "g" for this sound.

I would point out that the local Spanish speakers in the region where
Mapuche is spoken use the name "pato cague" for a local duck, borrowing the
Mapuche word for duck kaqe (also transcribed as  kage and cage depending on
the spelling system), indicating that that consonant sounds like a "g" to
Spanish-speaking ears. See:
http://www.patagonialands.com/diccionariomapuche/contenidogk.html

The sound "ll" sound in willi would be transcribed as "j" in the system
used in the pdf. This sound corresponds to the Castilian Spanish "ll" sound
(something like l + y in English), while "y" is like in English. In many
regions of the Americas, Spanish speakers do not distinguish the sounds for
"ll" and "y" that way speakers in Spain do.

As I said, I was trying to find a natural way to pronounce Willinakaqe in
English, which requires a stress accent. Putting the accent on the
next-to-last syllable I think makes it easier for an English speaker to
pronounce.  So I stick with the English approximation:
weel-yee-nah-KAH-gay.

A Spanish speaker would pronounce it differently, probably using the
Spanish "ll" sound and a fricative "g" for the q. In Spanish spelling,
maybe something like:
hui-llin-a-CA-ge

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE