Re: Willinakaqe

2011/5/15 David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:
> On 13.05.2011 21:49, Augusto Haro wrote:
>>

>> > Wait a minute. First, you _didn't_ use this orthography. You used
>> > the Azumchefi/Azümchefe orthography, the only one that uses both q
>> > and ll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapudungun_alphabet
>>
>>  How do you know what orthography we used?
>
> I thought the table in the Wikipedia article I linked to was exhaustive. Of
> the systems listed in that table, Azümchefe is the only one that uses both
> the symbol ll and the symbol q.

The Ranguileo (I am no longer sure if there is an "n" in the name)
system also uses these written characters, except that ll is formed by
certain fusion rule, and does not represent a phoneme, according to
his system.

>>  As far as I understand, not according to Raguileo, in the citation I
>>  made before, which considers it as a variable "semi-vowel" or
>>  "semiconsonant". Thanks for the sound files. The most similar they
>>  sound in Spanish is like "u" (as sounds in the end of the word
>>  "Mobutu" in English).
>
> How about the Spanish g as in pagar?

Humm... seems to be a common Spanish g, different from "u". But
perhaps this come from my perspective ignorant about tongue positions.

>>  the use of "v" in place of the "u" in old Castilian and Latin
>>  writings
>
> V and U have only been considered separate letters since the 17th/18th
> century. In Classical Latin, this single letter was used for a long vowel, a
> short vowel, and the consonant/semiconsonant/semivowel [w] -- this [w] later
> became [v].

Thanks for the insight.

>>  Or are you sure the "ll" in "Willi" sounds as in the Spanish "ll" in
>>  Mapudungun?
>
> As in very conservative kinds of Spanish, yes.

Oh, ok., white flag for my case then...

Finally, in reality we (Rubén and I, if I got him right before) got
the terms written, so we are not sure about the true pronunciation. We
pronounced it in Spanish when we met to write.