Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

From: Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, 1 November 2011, 11:21
Subject: Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On 11/1/2011 1:19 AM, David Marjanovic wrote:

>>> So what would an Archie track look like?

>> Three-toed or two-toed. The 1st toe didn't touch the ground, and it's
>> not clear if the hyperextensible 2nd toe did.

>Are there any 2-toed fossil tracks known?

>I could not find any trace online, but one would think (looking at the ostrich
>foot) that theropods in xeric environments might take the same route,
>Archie-types aside...

Li, R., Lockley, M.G., Mackovicky, P., Matsukawa, M., Harris, J., 2008.
Behavioral and faunal
implications of Early Cretaceous deinonychosaur trackways from China.
95, 185–191.

Zhen, S., Li, J., Zhang, B., Chen, W., Zhu, S., 1994. Dinosaur and bird
footprints from the
Lower Cretaceous of Emei County, Sichuan, China. Memoirs of Beijing Natural
History Museum 54, 106–120.

Kim et al - New didactyl dinosaur footprints (Dromaeosauripus hamanensis
ichnogen. et ichnosp.nov.) from the Early
Cretaceous Haman Formation, south coast of Korea -Palaeogeography,
Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 262 (2008) 72–78

Gaston et al. Grallator-Dominated Fossil Footprint Assemblages and Associated
Enigmatic Footprints from the Chinle Group
(Upper Triassic), Gateway Area, Colorado. Ichnos, 10:153–163, 2003
(includes seriema prints: which show impression of the D-II claw)

Denver Fowler