Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

I see that "didactyl" was the search term that immediately didn't spring to mind -- thanks.

I will seek the aforementioned speculative climate link.

On 11/1/2011 1:57 PM, Denver Fowler wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Denver Fowler<df9465@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "dinosaur@usc.edu"<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, 1 November 2011, 11:43
Subject: Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

_______________________________
From: Don Ohmes<d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, 1 November 2011, 11:21

On 11/1/2011 1:19 AM, David Marjanovic wrote:

So what would an Archie track look like?

Three-toed or two-toed. The 1st toe didn't touch the ground, and it's
not clear if the hyperextensible 2nd toe did.

Are there any 2-toed fossil tracks known?

I could not find any trace online, but one would think (looking at the ostrich
foot) that theropods in xeric environments might take the same route,
Archie-types aside...

Li, R., Lockley, M.G., Mackovicky, P., Matsukawa, M., Harris, J., 2008.
Behavioral and faunal
implications of Early Cretaceous deinonychosaur trackways from China.
Naturwissenschaften
95, 185–191.

Zhen, S., Li, J., Zhang, B., Chen, W., Zhu, S., 1994. Dinosaur and bird
footprints from the
Lower Cretaceous of Emei County, Sichuan, China. Memoirs of Beijing Natural
History Museum 54, 106–120.

Kim et al - New didactyl dinosaur footprints (Dromaeosauripus hamanensis
ichnogen. et ichnosp.nov.) from the Early
Cretaceous Haman Formation, south coast of Korea -Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology,
Palaeoecology 262 (2008) 72–78

Gaston et al. Grallator-Dominated Fossil Footprint Assemblages and Associated
Enigmatic Footprints from the Chinle Group
(Upper Triassic), Gateway Area, Colorado. Ichnos, 10:153–163, 2003
(includes seriema prints: which show impression of the D-II claw)

Plus

Ishigaki, Shinobu and Lockley, Martin G.(2010) 'Didactyl, tridactyl and
tetradactyl theropod trackways
from the Lower Jurassic of Morocco: evidence of limping, labouring and other
irregular gaits', Historical Biology, 22: 1,
100 — 108

Mudroch A, Richter U, Joger U, Kosma R, Ide´ O, et al. (2011) Didactyl Tracks
of Paravian Therop
ONE 6(2): e14642. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0014642

Azuma et al. 2009 -didactylus digit trackways from the early cretaceous hekou
group, gansu prov. china. -extended abstrac

plus the dinosaur trackway conference 2011:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7aIpEhfEHvMJ:www.dinosaurtrack.de/program.html+dinosaur+trackway+conference&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.denverfowler.com