Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Jason Brougham wrote:

The literature on the Kagu universally mentions that they glide downhill. It never mentions how far. So I wrote to Yves Letocart, who is the Park Supervisor at the Riviere Bleu national Park in New Caledonia. He started working to conserve the birds in 1980 and is probably single handedly responsible for preventing their extinction. He very graciously answered all of my questions and was very helpful. He is a real hero in my opinion.

He insists that Kagus do not glide. He says that they flap, both when running and in short bursts of flight, such as over streams. He measured it and found that, if the stream is 4 meters wide or less, the birds land on the opposite bank. Any wider and they fall in the water and swim to the opposite bank.

There are actually a number of kagu videos on youtube (used search terms:
kagu bird) and got 53 hits. Only looked at a couple.

This one is interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvdHkgsZRYQ

about a minute in one does a threat display, throwing the wings out and raising its crest...