Re: Enantiornithine nesting colony found in Romania

The writers who do these stories for the popular press may get impressions
in their imaginations that don't reflect the understanding of the actual
scientists.

Of course we on the DML all know that there is a certain mortality rate in
any population, and this translates to a fair number of dead adults in a
population as large as a breeding colony. Modern bird nesting colonies
will have a few adult carcasses strewn about.

Moreover, the popular article includes an illustration of Gansus, an
ornithine, while the new taxon is said to be an enantiornithine. So far as
I know no enantiornithine yet described has the waterfowl aspect depicted
in that painting of Gansus.

>> An online news story about the discovery of a nesting colony of
>> enantiornthine birds in Romania announed at the SVP meeting.
>>
>> http://news.discovery.com/animals/drowned-dino-era-birds-111103.html
>
> Hmm... I can picture the *colony site* being "drowned" by rising waters
> but surely not adult birds, as the article implies. The abstract, on the
> other hand, doesn't imply that *any* of the birds were necessarily
> killed by the waters. Maybe the authors can give us more details after
> the meeting.
>
> -- Donna Braginetz

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator