Re: Archosaur antics--world's only playful "pet" crocodile dies

On Mon, Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of people crying about Pocho; I hope environmentalists in Costa
> Rica take advantage of this positive emotion without meaning all
> crocodiles are good to interact with people.

The Australian freshwater crocodile seems to make a reasonably good pet, given
its low level of
aggression and it's relatively small size. There is a pet 'freshie' here in
Melbourne who gets taken
for walks on a lead:

http://melton-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/rockbank-croc-a-star-after-posing-for-snappers/

It's legal to keep both saltwater and freshwater crocs as pets in the Northern
Territory in Australia,
provided you have the correct permit. I can't imagine why anyone would want a
pet 'salty' though
(rock stars and drug lords notwithstanding).

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/wildlife/permits/pdf/guide_for_keeping_crocs2.pdf

Dann Pigdon