Re: Mosasaurs's phylogenetic analysis

Dear Alessandro,

>> I to all the list-members please could someone tell me what
>> is the most recent and attendible phylogenetic
>> analysis about Mosasaurs? please cited the entire refs.

Almost all analyses are based on the data published by Bell (1997)
with some modifications provided by Bell & Polcyn (2005), which I
would call the most comprehensive phylogenetic analysis of
Mosasauridae published to date. However, the data are a bit outdated.
Check especially Dutchak & Caldwell (2006, 2009), and Caldwell & Palci
(2007). Also, you should be familiar with the papers by Christiansen &
Bonde (2002), Dortangs et al. (2002), Bardet et al. (2005), Polcyn &
Bell (2005), Cuthbertson et al. (2007), Konishi & Caldwell (2011), as
well as Conrad (2008), and Conrad et al. (2011).

Refs:
Bardet, N., X. P. Suberbiola, M. Iarochene, F. Bouyahyaoui, B. Bouya,
and M. Amaghzaz. 2005. A new species of Halisaurus from the Late
Cretaceous phosphates of Morocco, and the phylogenetical relationships
of the Halisaurinae (Squamata: Mosasauridae). Zoological Journal of
the Linnean Society 143:447-472.

Bell, G. L. 1997. A phylogenetic revision of North American and
Adriatic Mosasauroidea: 293-332. In Callaway, J. M, & E. L. Nicholls
(Eds.). Ancient Marine Reptiles. Academic Press, San Diego, USA.

Bell, G. L. & M. J. Polcyn. 2005. Dallasaurus turneri, a new primitive
mosasauroid from the Middle Turonian of Texas and comments on the
phylogeny of Mosasauridae (Squamata). Netherlands Journal of
Geosciences 84: 177-194.

Caldwell, M. W., and A. Palci. 2007. A new basal mosasauroid from the
Cenomanian (U. Cretaceous) of Slovenia with a review of mosasauroid
phylogeny and evolution. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology
27:863-880.

Christiansen, P., & N. Bonde. 2002. A new species of gigantic mosasaur
from the Late Cretaceous of Israel. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology
22: 629-644.

Conrad, J. L. 2008. Phylogeny and systematics of Squamata (Reptilia)
based on morphology. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural
History 310:1-182.

Conrad, J. L., J. C. Ast, S. Montanari, and M. A. Norell. 2011. A
combined evidence phylogenetic analysis of Anguimorpha (Reptilia:
Squamata). Cladistics 27:230-277.

Cuthbertson, R. S., J. C. Mallon, N. E. Campione & R. B. Holmes. 2007.
A new species of mosasaur (Squamata: Mosasauridae) from the Pierre
Shale (lower Campanian) of Manitoba. Canadian Journal of Earth
Sciencies 44: 593-606.

Dortangs, R. W., A. S. Schulp, E. W. A. Mulder, J. W. M. Jagt, H. H.
G. Peeters & D. Th. de Graaf. 2002. A large new mosasaur from the
Upper Cretaceous of The Netherlands. Netherlands Journal of
Geosciences 81:1-8.

Dutchak, A. R., and M. W. Caldwell. 2006. Redescription of
Aigialosaurus dalmaticus Kramberger, 1892, a Cenomanian mosasauroid
lizard from Hvar Island, Croatia. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences
43:1821-1834.

Dutchak, A. R., and M. W. Caldwell. 2009. A redescription of
Aigialosaurus (= Opetiosaurus) bucchichi (Kornhuber, 1901) (Squamata:
Aigialosauridae) with comments on mosasauroid systematics. Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology 29:437-452.

Konishi, T., D. Brinkman, J. A. Massare & M. W. Caldwell. 2011. New
exceptional specimens of Prognathodon overtoni (Squamata,
Mosasauridae) from the upper Campanian of Alberta, Canada, and the
systematics and ecology of the genus, Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 31:1026-1046

Polcyn, M. J., and G. L. Bell. 2005. Russellosaurus coheni n. gen., n.
sp., a 92 million-year-old mosasaur from Texas (USA), and the
definition of the parafamily Russellosaurina. Netherlands Journal of
Geosciences 84:321-333.

Best,
--
Daniel Madzia