Re: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On 11/8/2011 7:04 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:

The problem with passive gliding is that it usually takes the subject downward
as well as across

Downward and outward.

And (as previously mentioned), roosting animals bail on the opposite side of the tree when disturbed by night-walking bipeds (pers. ob.).

It runs counter to my view of how evolution works to assume that a passive-gliding physique arises while presenting such liability that it's owner must commandeer a burrow to avoid a predator.

That said, I would not be surprised should you be right about the sauropods being willing to snag a small critter, or silt-stunned fish -- I can envision a herd waltzing through a small lake or estuary and feasting on hypoxic organisms.

Proud to say I might be the first person to bring that silt-stunned thing up, not embarrassed in the slightest.

But c'mon, man -- how is a sauropod going to sneak up on somebody in the woods?

Heh. Ain't gonna happen...