Re: Languages was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx‏

2011/11/8 David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:

>> > The universality of English was also helped immeasurably by the
>> > fact that one of Britain's conquests in the New World went on to
>> > become a superpower in the XX-XXI centuries.
>
> That's the biggest reason for why English is the international language of
> science. More scientists are Americans than anything else -- and in the
> 1950s, almost all scientists this side of the Iron Curtain were Americans.

I stand corrected, it seems now clear that the U.S. had more to do
than the British empire with the preponderance of English in science.
This likely correlates with the U.S. having a gross domestic product
equal to half the world gross domestic product just after World War
II.