Re: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why? Are your feet evolutionarily adapted to sleeping in a bed?

While sleeping, my feet aren't securing my body to the substratum.

>> -- So far, I don't see a reason to assume any climbing or roosting in
>> any dinosaur that wasn't able to fly into a tree.
>
> Ah! So you are strictly a "ground-upper", then? Tell me how you manage that,
> in the face of a limited wing-stroke?

You raise an interesting point.  I agree that a limited upstroke tends
to rule out a "ground-up" origin of flight, because scenarios such as
WAIR emphasize the role of a full wingstroke in the incipient stages.
However, there are other reasons aside from roosting that might put
small paravian theropods at elevation.

Cheers

Tim