RE: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:58:37 +0100
> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of
> Archaeopteryx
>
> > You know what the debate over how dangerous trees are for protobirds
> > reminds me of? Back when I was learning about whale evolution, I
> > used to think "but wouldn't water be really dangerous for those early
> > stages of amphibious proto-cetacean life?" (there's crocs, sharks,
> > hungry fish, etc)
>
> Not "etc.". There were crocs, there were sharks, but I don't know of any
> other big marine predators from the Paleo- or early Eocene.

 You don't need a dozen separate families of creatures to eat protowhales* -
the fact that they were there and eating any protowhales they caught, makes
them a good analogy to your statement that the trees were too dangerous for
protobirds, because of all the predators up there ready to pick a protobird off
a branch and eat it.

(and the crocs and sharks were also eating the same food as the protowhales, so
it should have been eaven tougher yet)

* = though they didn't all need to be fully marine or big - monitor lizards
come to mind, as do pythons.