RE: Black Feather Colour in Archaeopteryx

  In principle, Paul favored a countershaded coloration befitting sea-going
birds, such as gulls, rather than terrestrial or inland predators. If Archie is
more terrestrial than sea-going, it may less likely be countershaded than
fully-covered in black feathers on the body. Similarly, this is one remigial
feather, whose sides may be differentially colored, but it may imply a black
under-coloring (for the wing tips at least) which offer no constructive
refutation or testing of total plumage coloration, as many gulls _also_ have
black-tipped wings.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)