Re: Microraptor ate birds

Not just cats. I've had several non-breed dogs that chase and grab passerines on the wing when they are a foot or two above the ground.

Dan

On 11/10/2011 2:48 PM, Mickey Mortimer wrote:
I agree.  This was the worst SVP abstract this year in my opinion, since any of
us with cats know that a good portion of their passerine kills happen on the
ground (making the cat's arboreal abilities irrelevent).  And taxa like
sparrows and crows are no doubt more arboreally adapted than Confuciusornis.
So no matter how good the specimen is, it simply cannot support arboreality in
Microraptor.

Mickey Mortimer

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:58:26 -0500
From: schenck.rob@gmail.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Microraptor ate birds

**sent this in direct reply to Ben Creisler first, resending now**

I've gotta say that that was a pretty darned cool poster at SVP this
year. At first it really seemed like good support for Microraptor
being arboreal, BUT, then I remembered that my cat would eat
passerines all the time, and my cat isn't arboreal (at least not like
we usually mean when we think of arboreal maniraptors).

ALSO, isn't it pretty darned cool that the Economist has dinosaur
articles, i mean, you'd never see an economic article in a science
journal, just shows how awesome science is that even 'money people'
are like "ZOMG DINOSAURS!"