RE: Microraptor ate birds

Birds in the cage behind me say, "We kill pig."

Dora

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
bh480@scn.org
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:31 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Microraptor ate birds

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

Another news article about the SVP meeting, this time about Microraptor:

What dinosaurs ate--The belly of the beast
http://www.economist.com/node/21538077

SVP Abstract 2011

O'CONNOR, Jingmai, Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and
Paleoanthropology, Beijing, China; ZHOU, Zhonghe, Institute of Vertebrate
Paleontology and Paleoanthropology, Beijing, China; XU, Xing, Institute of
Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology, Beijing, China

SMALL THEROPOD WITH BIRD IN STOMACH INDICATES BOTH LIVED IN TREES

Preserved indicators of diet are extremely rare in the fossil record; even
more so is unequivocal direct evidence for predator-prey relationships.
Here, we report on a new specimen of the small non-avian theropod
Microraptor from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota, China that has the
remains of an adult enantiornithine bird in its stomach. The new specimen
helps to further reconstruct the dietary preferences of Microraptor.
Furthermore, because Jehol enantiornithines were distinctly arboreal, in
contrast to their ornithurine counterparts which were cursorial, this
fossil suggests that Microraptor hunted in trees and strongly supports
inferences that this taxon was also an arborealist. This discovery provides
further support for the arboreality of basal dromaeosaurs and a 'trees
down' origin for bird flight.

mail2web LIVE - Free email based on MicrosoftR Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE