Re: Microraptor ate birds

Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A *plausible* explanation is that it climbed trees, and then used its height
> to execute an aerial attack on its prey to take its prey by
> surprise.

Yes, it crossed my mind that if the _Microraptor_ caught the little
birdie alive, then how did it catch the prey?  It's a safe bet that
the enantiornithean had far better arboreal adaptations, and was
therefore much more agile than  _Microraptor_ in trees.  On the
ground, the _Microraptor_ would have to catch the bird before it flew
away, which would seem to be a big ask for a theropod that couldn't
run very fast.  I doubt that _Microraptor_ could snatch the birdie out
of the air, with all those big feathers sticking out from its
appendages.  So an ambush attack from above seems the most plausible,
with the feathers providing guidance during the descent.  We're back
to the Pouncing Proavis model.

Cheers

Tim