Re: Microraptor ate birds

On Fri, Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> What was the ontogenetic stage of the bird in the stomach?  Newly
> fledged robins, etc.  can fly short distances but are not very effective
> flyers for a few days.

Blackbirds in Australia (the unfortunately named Turdus merula) tend to leave
their nests well
before they can fly, and spend up to a week running about on the ground. The
parent birds
themselves also have a tendancy to nest quite low to the ground - usually well
within reach of a
human, and often within easy reach of a cat. I often wonder how they manage to
survive to
adulthood at all, yet these introduced birds are quite common in southeastern
Australia.

http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Turdus-merula

Dann Pigdon