Re: Microraptor ate birds

--- On Thu, 11/10/11, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> So an ambush attack from above seems the
> most plausible,
> with the feathers providing guidance during the
> descent.  We're back
> to the Pouncing Proavis model.

Of course, Microraptor's use of its wings for aerodynamic purposes is not
necessarily the same use that lead to to bird wings.

I'm sure the transitional uses for wings in Bats, Pterosaurs, insects, etc were
all different. There is no reason to think there wouldn't be different
transitional uses among the maniraptors.

Just because the "pouncing proavis" model fits with what we know of
microraptor, doesn't mean it fits for the ancestors of Microraptor's bird
prey(or scavenged meals?)

- I still want to know if "wings" are ancestral to dromeosaurs- are microaptors
wings a case of parallel evolution, or were wings present at the split from
birds and dromeosaurs?
Its a particularly attractive idea to me for some reason (ie: I want it to be
true, I admit my bias)