RE: Microraptor ate birds

Evil laugh.  "We wait for pig."

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
Dann Pigdon
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:41 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Microraptor ate birds

On Fri, Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> What was the ontogenetic stage of the bird in the stomach?  Newly
> fledged robins, etc.  can fly short distances but are not very effective
> flyers for a few days.

Blackbirds in Australia (the unfortunately named Turdus merula) tend to
leave their nests well
before they can fly, and spend up to a week running about on the ground. The
parent birds
themselves also have a tendancy to nest quite low to the ground - usually
well within reach of a
human, and often within easy reach of a cat. I often wonder how they manage
to survive to
adulthood at all, yet these introduced birds are quite common in
southeastern Australia.

Dann Pigdon