Re: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Robert Schenck <schenck.rob@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like to keep the goats-in-trees image in mind, because it reminds us
> that animals don't allways do what we say they're 'allowed' to do, and
> because, no matter how many goats we see in trees, they're still NOT
> arboreally adapted. You'd be a crazy person to look at a goat fossil
> and say, 'yep, foraged in trees'. You'd be /correct/, but still crazy.

I really wish you *wouldn't* keep the "goats-in-trees" image in mind
when you think about dinosaurs.  Goats are well adapted for climbing
trees.  We've been over this umpteen times.  Their tree-climbing
abilities are an extension of their highly refined rock-climbing
abilities, which entails gaining purchase on narrow and uneven
substrates.

So knowing this, you wouldn't have to be a crazy person to look at a
goat fossil and say, "Yep, foraged in trees".

Cheers
Tim