Re: Perching, climbing, roosting was Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Nup, I'm not getting used to it. I've nothing against the word
>> "reptile" - turtles, lizards, snakes, tuataras and crocodiles are all
>> reptiles.
>
>  I forget which publication or book I read it in, but I recall reading that
> the Tuataras are as closely related to snakes+lizards (and-or) to turtles
> (and-or) to crocodiles+birds...as they are to mammals.

Flat-out wrong. Tuataras are lepidosaurs, like squamates (lizards,
including snakes). And lepidosaurs are much closer to archosaurs
(birds + crocodylians) than they are to mammals. The exact position of
turtles is debated, but it is not seriously debated that they are
closer to lepidosaurs and archosaurs than they are to mammals.

>> in
>> the cause of "phylogenetic correctness". But the claim that mammals
>> evolved from reptiles is incorrect,
>> and needs to be jettisoned - along
>> with the term "mammal-like reptile".
>
> Good luck with that.  seriously.

"Stem-mammal" is both more accurate and easier to type. It's slowly
making inroads in some circles.

There's also "non-mammalian synapsid", but it seems silly to use such
a mouthful when "stem-mammal" will do.
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/