Re: Origin of flight in birds and bats

One thing I do like about the "dropping proto-bat" hypothesis is that it
provides an explanatory model for how bats have ended up being so efficient at
dropping launches.  While it may seem like that is an "easy" way to take off,
dropping nose-down from a ceiling and then initiating powered flight is
extremely complicated and dynamic, and is in that sense quite "difficult".
Most birds would turn into lawn darts trying to launch that way, and I imagine
most pterosaurs would have, as well.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

> "...proto-bats, when dropping down from the ceilings of caves, could
> use flapping to control their descent and land in the right place to
> gobble up prey."

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology
Chatham University