RE: Reinterpretation of Samrukia as a pterosaur

  I'm not sure the issues will assuredly publish in order to be consistent. Are
the submission to print times consistent between _Biology Letters_ vs. _Annales
de Paléontologie_?

  The problem I see here is that a note is being submitted rejecting the
conclusions of a work _that isn't published_ and is noted specifically so. The
only way to ensure the timeliness of these is to withhold the publication of
the latter note to ensure the former is published on time. At which point the
citation in the latter is off. How problematic would it have been to wait for
the original descriptive note to be published before submission? Moreover, the
online "openness" of the submissions and edited papers prior to print gives the
illusion that the work is available, when in fact it isn't. The need for high
media coverage before the fact, the prevalence of coverage before the fact, and
the increasing number of works published online prior to print confuse this
issue, and I do not think it will be solved until at least "online before
print" stops for works like this (taxonomic or otherwise) or online print is
considered as valuable and authoritative as print (even though the latter is
treated this way by the media presentation of either news organizations or the
authors themselves).

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)