Re: Reinterpretation of Samrukia as a pterosaur

Indeed. I just checked both journals... and the last issue of Biology Letters
is dated from the 23rd of december (!). And Naish et al.'s paper is the 26th
online first paper (or whatever they call it).. There is therefore little
chance that it will be published before the end of the year - except if it
belongs to some special volume, in which case the date of acceptance is not so
important.

Given that Buffetaut's comment will likely be published either in the last
issue of 2011 or in the first of 2012, I hope very much that Buffetaut and
Taquet will refrain from publishing it before the princeps description issues.

I do agree with you Jaime, but I note that the same problem applies to the "accepted" /
"in press" distinction. In the case of Bilogy Letters, one could think that a paper was
actually published though it has only been edited to be in press after having been accepted. As you
just said, there should some sort of editorial rule stating that any paper dealing with new
taxa/clade names should be temporarily stored in limbo until the actual, physical issues is out.
In fact, I am astonished to see that this is still not the case. It could be a mere question on a
reviewer sheet: "Does this work involve the erection of a new taxon ?" "O No / O Yes
- In this case, the article will be available online only after having been effectively
published."

Quite simple, in fact. :-|

Cheers,
Jocelyn Falconnet

   I'm not sure the issues will assuredly publish in order to be consistent. Are the
submission to print times consistent between _Biology Letters_ vs. _Annales de
Paléontologie_?

   The problem I see here is that a note is being submitted rejecting the conclusions of a work
_that isn't published_ and is noted specifically so. The only way to ensure the timeliness of these
is to withhold the publication of the latter note to ensure the former is published on time. At
which point the citation in the latter is off. How problematic would it have been to wait for the
original descriptive note to be published before submission? Moreover, the online
"openness" of the submissions and edited papers prior to print gives the illusion that
the work is available, when in fact it isn't. The need for high media coverage before the fact, the
prevalence of coverage before the fact, and the increasing number of works published online prior
to print confuse this issue, and I do not think it will be solved until at least "online
before print" stops for works like this (taxonomic or otherwise) or online print is considered
as valuable and authoritative as print (even though the latter is treated this way by the media
presentation of either news organizations or the authors themselves).

Cheers,

   Jaime A. Headden
   The Bite Stuff (site v2)
   http://qilong.wordpress.com/