Re: Australian TV program about dinosaur stampede (video preview)

On Tue, Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jay <jayp.nair@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The full episode is free (by ABC iview) to watch online - at
> http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/853047

I can't say I was impressed with the show. The shots of the various trackways
around the world
were the highlight. Some of the voiceover pronunciations were a bit
questionable, and even more
noticable when they immediately cut to a palaeontologist using the same words
with different (ie.
the usual) pronunciations. I won't say the voiceover talent was quite as
annoying as Robin Leach -
but it was certainly within the outskirts of Leachood. Someone like Geoffrey
Rush would have been
a better choice (if they could afford him).

The scientific method gets flung unceremoniously out the window when they
attempt to fit a grand
total of *one* foot reconstructions to the large trackways. The foot in
question is reconstructed by
an artist (rather than an anatomist), from a digital reconstruction of the foot
bones, with a digital
scan of one of the large footprints as a reference. It was as if they had made
up their minds who
the track maker was from the outset.

There was no mention at all of the Romilio and Salisbury paper that concluded
the large print
maker was more likely a large ornithopod. Although given some of the comments
in the program, it
would seem to predate many of the more recent discoveries from Australia (the
partial spinosaur
cervical, the possible tyrannosauroid pubis fragment).

http://www.uq.edu.au/dinosaurs/documents/Romilio_Salisbury_2011.pdf
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/06/16/rsbl.2011.0466
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/327/5973/1613.abstract

Dann Pigdon