Re: Tyrannosauroid material from Uzbekistan

Tetsuto Miyashita <dinosaur238@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> I talked to Dr. Sues and Dr. Averianov at SVP -- there is no doubt that their
> additional materials represent a
> dromaeosaurid. However, note that the
> locality is a bonebed with many isolated elements jumbled together. I have
> not seen these specimens
> mentioned in their new paper, so I cannot
> judge the association of these specimens and the holotype braincase.

The Bissekty Formation is famous (or infamous) for the large number of
bird taxa found there, especially enantiornitheans.  This fits with
evidence of a dense forest.  So it will be interesting to see if the
new dromaeosaurid bone material preserves any indication of
microraptorine-like adaptations.  I know, it's a long shot...

> It's intriguing that it keeps going back and forth between the two extremes
> of non-avian coelurosaurs! Maybe
> Dale Russell was right.

Although a dromaeosaurid-tyrannosauroid clade seems unlikely, among
coelurosaurs these are the only two groups that appear to have been
adapted for tackling large prey.  Other coelurosaurs were adapted more
for dealing with small prey, or were not predatory at all.

Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

> And yet Miyashita (2011) found "A redescription of Itemirus medullaris from
> the Turonian of Uzbekistan supports
>  the hypothesis that this taxon represents a relatively derived
> non-tyrannosaurid tyrannosauroid."  Will be
> interesting to see his analysis, in addition to Sues and Averianov's.  Note
> Longrich and Currie's analysis only
> included paravians, so could not recover a tyrannosauroid position.  No doubt
> the correct answer is that
> Russell and Dong (1994) were right and dromaeosaurids and tyrannosaurids are
> sister taxa. ;)

Interestingly (or not), if _Itemirus_ is a velociraptorine, then under
ICZN rules Itemirinae would have priority over Velociraptorinae
(Kurzanov, 1976 vs Barsbold, 1983).  But thankfully, when it comes to
naming clades, we don't have to slavishly follow the ICZN .     :-)

Cheers

Tim