RE: Microraptor preyed on birds (official paper in PNAS)

Well, since it's not open access I can't say anything about the paper itself
(though I could access it for 2 days for the low low price of $10), but the
Discover article implies the bird wasn't scavenged because it's articulated and
facing headfirst.  This doesn't address the obvious argument made on the DML
that the enantiornithine could have been caught on the ground, since that's the
case for many modern predators attacking arboreal birds.  Indeed, I don't see
why a predator wouldn't eat a scavenged bird the same way it eats a recently
killed bird, since the animal still goes down the throat more smoothly head
first.  So while I still technically reserve final judgement until I read the
paper, I stand by my earlier statement that it's impossible to infer
arboreality from one Microraptor eating one arboreal bird.

I do find it amusing this appeared in PNAS, which has also recently featured
the terrible venomous Sinornithosaurus paper and the amusingly horrible
'insects hybridized with onychophorans to get their larval state' paper.  So
far as I can tell, the most useful thing about this Microraptor paper is the
supplementary info which includes measurements for several otherwise
unpublished microraptorian specimens.  As a further amusement, two are called
"Microraptor gui sp.".  Er... In any case, as the new specimen (IVPP 17972B)
contains a complete skull, I would have greatly preferred if O'Connor et al.
would have described that instead of presenting flawed behavioral arguments.

Mickey Mortimer