Re: Tyrannosauroid material from Uzbekistan

Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It's intriguing that it keeps going back and forth between the two extremes
> > of non-avian coelurosaurs! Maybe
> > Dale Russell was right.
>

> Although a dromaeosaurid-tyrannosauroid clade seems unlikely, among
> coelurosaurs these are the only two groups that appear to have been
> adapted for tackling large prey.  Other coelurosaurs were adapted more
> for dealing with small prey, or were not predatory at all.

Yes -- and don't take me seriously on the dromaeosaurid-tyrannosauroid clade,
As far as looking at the braincases, though, it is a fascinating exercise to
come up with functional/morphogenetic explanations for some strange patterns
emerging from conservation and variability. Stay tuned for a comprehensive
analysis by Dave Dufeau and Lawrence Witmer.