Re: Australian dinosaur stampede "ornithopod" scenario challenged

On Wed, Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Ben Creisler <bscreisler@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Richard A. Thulborn (2011)
> Lark Quarry revisited: a critique of methods used to identify a large
> dinosaurian track-maker in
> the Winton Formation (Albianâ??Cenomanian), western Queensland, Australia.
> Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
> doi:10.1016/j.cretres.2011.11.006
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667111001844
>
> Abstract
> A remarkable assemblage of dinosaur tracks in the Winton Formation
> (Albianâ??Cenomanian) at
Lark
> Quarry, a site in western Queensland, Australia, has long been regarded as
> evidence of a
> dinosaurian stampede. However, one recently published study has claimed that
> existing
> interpretation of Lark Quarry is incorrect because the largest track-maker at
> the site was
> misidentified and could not have played a pivotal role in precipitating a
> stampede. That recent
> study has claimed that the largest track-maker was actually an ornithopod
> (bipedal plant-eating
> dinosaur) similar or identical to Muttaburrasaurus and not, as originally
> supposed, a theropod
> (predaceous dinosaur) resembling Allosaurus. Those iconoclastic claims are
> examined here and
are
> shown to be groundless: they are based partly on misconceptions and partly on
> fabricated data
> which has been assessed uncritically using quantitative measures of
> questionable significance.
> Such ill-founded claims do not
>  reveal any substantial flaw in the existing interpretation of the Lark
> Quarry dinosaur tracks.

Those last two sentences are extraordinarily worded, and would seem to border
on libel. They give
the impression of an emotional response, rather than a scientific one. I'm
surprised that specific
wording made it through peer-review.

Dann Pigdon