Re: Mounted Spinosaurus in Marseille

Didn't even know that it had been on display... thank you Michael !

This specimen is a composite skeleton incorporating elements from three individuals from the Kem-Kem beds of Morocco. These individuals were apparently young, given that it measures 7.6 m in length.

It was presented at auction in Drouot in Paris in 2009 by François Escuillé - but the price proposed was lower than expected so it was not sold. The skeleton has been on display in the Toulouse Museum during Winter 2011 and was sent to the Marseille Museum afterwards. And - good news ! - the exhibition is prolonged until the 31st of December !

More information here (in French):
http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2010/10/17/929115-francois-chasseur-de-dinosaures.html
http://www.20minutes.fr/paris/368532-Paris-Le-Spinosaurus-continuera-a-faire-de-vieux-os.php

More pictures there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumdetoulouse/5285900724/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumdetoulouse/5285908246/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumdetoulouse/5285309513/in/photostream

And for French speakers, an interview of the curator of the Marseille Museum (with close-ups of the specimen !):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG17I3KiEMM