Re: Nopcsaspondylus has no hypophene, please

On 23 November 2011 23:13, Sebastian Apesteguia
<sebapesteguia@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
> *    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *
> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *

Rescued from truncation again, despite the SCANDALOUS claim that
naming a new taxon on a single vertebra is excessive.

--

Yes Mike, the problem with it is that the paper was thought to name
the Nopcsa's vertebra (Nopcsaspondylus), but also the MACN PV 35 as a
new taxon (probably excessive for a single vertebra, but well, that
was the original idea). When reviewers rejected the idea of naming,
the description of MACN PV 35 stayed accompanied with its own
description but with the name of Nopcsa's beast.
What I wanted to say with the Rebbachisauroidea is to include in a
clade more inclusive than Diplodocoidea to those sauropods more
related to rebbachisaurus than to Diplodocus but outside of
Rebbachisauridae (which is diagnosed, among other traits) by the
absence of hyp-hyp articulations.
Anyway, the name was redundant since there were branch-based
deffinitions around.
Best
Sebastian

Dr. Sebastián Apesteguía
Fundación de Historia Natural 'Félix de Azara' -
CEBBAD (CONICET) - Universidad Maimónides. Virasoro 732,
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
Tel-fax: 5411-49051100 ext. 1228,
sebapesteguia@gmail.com, www.fundacionazara.org.ar