Re: Nopcsaspondylus has no hypophene, please

On 28 November 2011 00:30, Mike Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It may also be helpful to attempt, as in other clades, to specify a unique
>> name _without_ using the "-idae" system of affixation. Seriously, the more
>> the merrier in removing the sense of Ranks as mandatory elements of
>> nomenclature.
>
> Hear, hear!

Well, maybe.  I think we all agree that slavishly following the
Linnaean-rank naming conventions is dumb, but in situations like this
one -- where what you explicitly want is "group containing
Rebbachisaurus thar is less inclusive than Rebbachisauridae", it seems
like a handy convention for saying what you mean.

The alternative is just making a name de novo every time you want to
name a minor clade, and that tends to lead to bizarre names like
Laurasiformes as a clade of macronarians.  I'm not crazy about that.

-- Mike.