FW: Nopcsaspondylus has no hypophene, please

Because my own copy of David's resending of my truncated post (which I got
without, but who knows) came through from David with some reformatting that
looks hideous, I'm re-resending this. As it has always been, it's [still] in
"plain text" mode.

<There's no such thing as a "minor" clade. This is the sort of typological
thinking that Ranks provided us, that the ICZN enforced with its "only
Families, Genera and Species matter" attitude, and continues to stand in the
way of people willing to break the constraints of the old system. We are told
"it works," but it doesn't; it's a crutch for the sake of something that feels
familiar and functional (nesting nomenclature), but it is otherwise useless
aside from the feeling of having your names chosen for you. It means less
memorization, but it means sticking with a system and a typological thinking
that is fundamentally flawed. As long as the system is used, and continues to
be used, it will impair the breaking of the "Ranks-are-useful" mind-set that
pervades systematic biology and [to a lesser extent] paleontology.>

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different
language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a  dream:
to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new  way of looking
at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)