New Jeholornis species

From: Ben Creisler
bscreisler@yahoo.com

A new online paper--not sure if the publication date will be 2012. (I might
have suggested "palmacauda" or some such as the species name.)

Jingmai K. O'Connor, Chengkai Sun, Xing Xu, Xiaolin Wang & Zhonghe Zhou ("2011")
A new species of Jeholornis with complete caudal integument.
Historical Biology (advance online publication)
DOI:10.1080/08912963.2011.552720
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08912963.2011.552720

Abstract
The Early Cretaceous long bony-tailed bird Jeholornis prima displays characters
both more basal than Archaeopteryx and more derived, exemplifying the mosaic
distribution of advanced avian features that characterises early avian
evolution and obfuscates attempts to understand early bird relationships. The
current diversity of Jeholornithiformes is controversial, since multiple
possibly synonymous genera were named simultaneously. Here, we provide the
first definitive evidence of a second species belonging to this clade, and
erect the new taxon J. palmapenis sp. nov. This new specimen reveals the tail
integument of Jeholornithiformes, the morphology of which appears to have no
aerodynamic benefit suggesting this clade evolved plumage patterns that were
primarily for display.