Re: Pterosaur wing shape

I disagree - the Jeholopterus specimens show a broader wingtip than what Palmer
and Dyke suggest for ornithocheirids, but it is not clearly convex.  In fact,
it is not at all clear how it could be highly convex, as often restored,
because even a quite stiff membrane would flutter excessively with that
conformation.  The trailing edge of anurognathid membranes was probably
relatively straight.  The Kellner et al. 2009 membrane description does not
show any strong evidence for a robust trailing edge tendon, so significant
roaching in the wing seems unlikely to me at this time.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

Sent from my iPhone