RE: tiny-armed theropods

Let's keep in mind, too, the sequence of acquisition of the various traits
associated with forelimb reduction and any other relevant
ecomorphological system we are comparing it to (body size, locomotory
adaptations, feeding adaptations, etc.).

For example, based on material Sereno presented at SVP last year, forelimb
reduction in the lineage including Abelisauridae likely
occurred well BEFORE the origin of Abelisauridae and well before the origin of
the characteristic skull and cervical adaptations of
abelisaurids! In tyrannosauroid history some cranial and locomotory
specializations had already arisen while forelimbs were still
fairly long, although these continued to be more specialized as body size
increased and forelimbs decreased. (If only we had good
arms for Alectrosaurus, Appalachiosaurus, Xiongguanlong, and Dryptosaurus!).

Also, a key factor in the success of abelisaurids and tyrannosaurids is the
loss of larger carcharodontosaurs and spinosaurids. So
the forelimb issues may have nothing to do with the success of the later Late K
guys: that may be coincidental.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216