Re: tiny-armed theropods

2011/10/5 Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>:

> Theropods have always looked unbalanced to me, esp if they are considered
> with a full stomach. Not sure what the weight savings would be, tho.

Good idea! But Paul stated that theropods, as other obligate bipeds,
are especially inestable animals, and used this to argument to suggest
that they achieved stability by walking at high velocity (which then
supports seing obligate erect bipeds as possessing high metabolic
rates). Velocity may thus help to balance the unbalanced theropod.
Besides, he also supported the hypothesis that theropods had a
relatively crouched attitude, which places the center of gravity
forwards of the hip joint.