RE: Amateur question on Terra Nova

On Thu, Oct 6th, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

> like you, I'm confused about that as well.  it's possible, i suppose, that
> they weren't
> fossilized because of their mountain nesting sites at the _Terra Nova_ base
> camp...but then they
> go to the beaches until the next breeding season, so that's a problem with
> that theory.
>
> (though if their last breeding season was found ten feet down, doesn't that
> mean they don't breed
> often?  or that the base camp was built on landslide territory?)

Some Australian birds of prey in arid areas will only breed once every ten
years or so (whenever
the rains come, and result in rat eruptions). I seem to recall that some
species of shore birds
(oyster catchers I think) only breed when Lake Eyre fills with water (by the
same rains that allow
the raptors to breed).

Dann Pigdon