Fruitaxxxx (was Re: I have searched on the web, can't find a "Predator X" paper...)

On Sat, October 8, 2011 4:45 am, Jocelyn Falconnet wrote:
> Well, as far as I know, nothing has been published on it. "Predator X"
> is just one of the numerous and meaningless names intended to appeal the
> public.
>
> The publication could be a matter of days/weeks/years/decades/centuries.
> There are many examples of so called 'known' taxa which have never been
> formally described. One that does come to my mind is the 'Fruita form'
> crocodylomorph, mentioned in literature since at least 1988 and included
> in many phylogenetic analyses... A genus and species name has been
> proposed (by whom ?) - informally of course.

Described by Jim Clark in his U Cal Berkeley Masters Thesis back in 1985.

The Fruita fauna is finally getting published (e.g., Fruitadens, long
called the "Morrison Echinodon", for instance; and Fruitafossor).
Hopefully Fruitaxxxxxx will see the light of day soon. [The intended name
has long been known, and a search on the web will find it.]

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/