RE: comment-therizinosaurs

What sense does it make that an animal with elongated, tranversely thin unguals
would use them only for defensive purposes?

There was the idea that they were useful for digging (not usueful at all, being
thin) or for "hooking" vegetation (which would ask for strong curvature), but
even so, it makes odd sense to evolve great size, apparent herbivore traits,
and then large thin unguals not just on the hands but the feet also.

I wonder, but cannot test at the moment, that the unguals were sheathed in
keratin that did not just copy the shape of the underlying bone, and as such
_could_ be broader or bear features that make them good at digging or
destroying earthen structures or for tearing into various objects in general.
That they are present on the feet, which seemingly would never reasonably be
involved in defensive posturing, implies that the they (and by this I mean the
claws in general) were not merely for display and defense.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/