RE: comment-therizinosaurs

  My larger concern on this point is that the pedal unguals are also strongly
compressed mediolaterally, enlarged, and recurved. The manual and pedal unguals
are also, unlike those of fossorial or semi-fossorial animals such as aardvarks
and tortoises, compressed; such "digging" unguals are broad transversely,
especially on the palmar side, and generally flat, even in the unguals, or at
least are broadly ovate rather than narrow and thin. This is true in mammals
and reptiles, although I am unsure precisely in birds, though some studies
exist examining the cross-section of the bony ungual or sheath relative to
habitus. Such imply that the transversely narrow unguals are not diggers or
likely usable for much substrate moving.

  Cycad penetration? No clue.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)