RE: Kraken vs. Ichthyosaurs

Sad to say, it seems to be honest

It is about as non-parsimonious and non-consilient an explanation as invoking
ancient astronauts.

What is exceptionally sad is that in the numerous media reports they don't seem
to be seeking an outside expert for common. That is
standard practice in most news reports on paleo matters (as one of the news
media's "go to guys" for dinosaur science, I can confirm
that!) In this one, they are just taking his word for it.

It is this kind of "science" and this kind of reportage that keeps paleontology
from being considered "real science" by a lot of
other scientists. The abstract and the news media's attention to it does our
profession a great disservice.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216