Re: comment-therizinosaurs

All these look to me as logical possibilities. I was also thinking on
the similarity between not very curved, laterally compressed unguals
and the condition in bears, which have similar claws in all limbs.
Bears, being relatively smart mammals, appear to use them in a variety
of ways, for example defense, offense, turning rocks, unearthing food
(would not this mean that these blade-like unguals can be used when
digging for food, instead of cave-making?), etc.. Less smart dinosaurs
may have used them in less varied ways, agreeing also with their less
flexible articulations. What if their blade-like shape has more to do
with resistance on a dorso-ventral sense than acting like blades?
Besides, most sloths (living and fossil) I can remember do not have
strongly curved claws, so perhaps slightly curved claws are not so bad
when dealing with branches.