Re: Kraken vs. Ichthyosaurs

In this case, ancient astronauts might even be a more plausible explanation. ;-)

Seriously, though, this is the sort of thing that responsible science reporters
generally won't cover at all. There are just so many times you can write
stories telling the public not to pay any attention to Fox News or all the
other careless or gullible media out there. Universities and professional
societies also need to look critically at press releases they issue. This story
would not have gotten as much attention as it did if it had not been
distributed by reputable sources, including Eurekalert and GSA.

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

>> HI ALL:
>> This story has been making the news rounds today:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/the-giant-prehistoric-squid-that-ate-common-sense/#more-80848
>>
>> Is it for real or is it a joke?
>>
> Sad to say, it seems to be honest
>
> It is about as non-parsimonious and non-consilient an explanation as invoking
> ancient astronauts.
>
> What is exceptionally sad is that in the numerous media reports they don't
> seem to be seeking an outside expert for common. That is
> standard practice in most news reports on paleo matters (as one of the news
> media's "go to guys" for dinosaur science, I can confirm
> that!) In this one, they are just taking his word for it.
>
> It is this kind of "science" and this kind of reportage that keeps
> paleontology from being considered "real science" by a lot of
> other scientists. The abstract and the news media's attention to it does our
> profession a great disservice.

Jeff Hecht, science and technology writer
525 Auburn St. Auburndale, MA 02466 USA
http://www.jeffhecht.com
jeff@jeffhecht.com, v. 617-965-3834