Re: tiny-armed theropods

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Matthew Martyniuk <martyniuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Except that the ICZN doesn't govern any names above family level. It
> seems odd that a code would explicitly reject precedence of name over
> precedence of definition. What's to stop a huge land rush to supplant
> existing names and trump centuries old author priority in favor of
> ones self?

Any system can be abused. Let's say we do it your way. You define
Hominini Gray 1825 as the human total group under the PhyloCode. For
decades, people using RegNum and the PhyloCode follow suit. Then, one
day, Dr. Troll realizes that Bimana Blumenbach 1779 is an older name
for basically the same group. He publishes a slightly altered
definition for the human total group under the PhyloCode. Voila,
instant instability!

And as you know, I think a "land rush" might not be that bad a thing:
http://3lbmonkeybrain.blogspot.com/2010/03/great-phylocode-land-run.html

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  But this hasn't been the case for workers discussing therizinosaur total
> group

There is no therizinosaur total group, because there are no extant
therizinosaurs. (YMMV if you are living in the Mesozoic.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/