Re: Most cervical vertebrae in a theropod

Can't speak for the dinos, but all pterosaurs have seven 'functional'
cervicals, with cervicals eight and nine 'dorsalised'. The anteriormost
dorsal is marked by its rib contacting the sternum. See Bennett (2004)
for more details.

Mark

Full ref: Bennett, S. C. (2004). "New information on the pterosaur
Scaphognathus crassirostris and the pterosaurian cervical series",
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 24: 38A

--

Dr. Mark Witton
www.markwitton.com

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to pop by:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> 12/10/2011 22:18 >>>
We all know that Mamenchisaurus had the most cervical vertebrae (19)
of any known sauropod.  But can anyone tell me what is the
record-holder among theropods?  What about ornithischians?
Pterosaurs?