Podokesauridae (RE: tiny-armed theropods)

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Matthew Martyniuk
>
> It's worth remembering that our current "stable" names became
> that way after unseating previously stable names, sometimes a
> matter of a decade or two ago (anybody remember
> Podokesauridae, which was supplanted by Coelophysidae in the
> early 1990s for no discernible reason)?

Given that I and Greg Paul and a few others are largely responsible for that,
here is the reason:

What positive evidence is there that Podokesaurus is in any way, shape, or form
more closely related to Coelophysis & company than
to (for example) tetanurines? Or basal to neotheropods?

The characters originally used to unite Podokesaurus, Coelophysis, "Syntarsus"
& friends was: little theropod that lived before the
Middle Jurassic. Not really a strong case for monophyly there...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/